You've just unpacked your UMIK-1, plugged it into your PC/Mac yet you're not able to see it as a device. What's going on? Isn't it supposed to be plug&play and driverless? It is indeed!
For one, while failure can happen, the likelihood that a UMIK-1 is faulty is quite low knowing a mic is being QC 4 times on the chain. The last step being the calibration file process right before it is packed.
1. The likelihood that the USB isn't pushed all the way in is going to be very high. On a first-time use, you really need to push that mini USB cable all the way in knowing it's a tight fit on the USB connector. It's an intentional "design" feature of the mic to ensure that the connection isn't lost as you move the cable around. Trust us, we've shipped enough mics to know it's worth it. :-)
2. The second troubleshooting test is to make sure you're not using a very long USB cable. USB 2.0 is rated 3.5m max so make sure you're not using a long cable extender. Else it's most likely not providing power to the UMIK-1 body (even if that little LED is on). You can try using a "Powered Active USB extender" that will provide power to the USB reclocker circuit.
3. Win10/11 require to make sure that you ENABLE access for the app. Go to Settings > Privacy > Microphone, and try flipping the toggle under "Allow apps to access your microphone" to On
4. We've heard from customers that INTEL Smart Sound Technology (SST) might also create some incompatibility with your UMIK-1 as it tries to cancel the audio from the microphone. If you have an Intel chip, go to Device Manager, expand System Devices, and look for "Intel Smart Sound Technology OED". RIGHT click on it and choose "Disable Device". When it asks if you're sure, choose YES.
4. Disable Audio Enhancement (PC/Windows) :
It is recommended to disable Audio Enhancement when using UMIK to avoid any issue.
Step 1: Right-click on the volume icon on the taskbar and then click Sound to open the Sound dialog.
Step 2: Under the Playback tab, right-click on your UMIK and then click Properties. You should now see the UMIK Properties dialog.
Step 3: Under the Enhancements tab, you can see all enhancements that are available for your PC.
Any other issues? Keep us updated and we can take it from there.